History Museums

Museums

Building on the Eastern Cape’s rich history and cultural influences, museums play an important role in preserving artefacts and other objects of historical importance. There are both permanent museums in the region, as well as temporary exhibitions for you to visit on your travels.

Filter:

Agricultural Museum Bathurst

In 1970, a small group of people interested on preserving the heritage of agriculture in the Eastern Cape, formed a committee to establish a home for the many valuable items which would otherwise be lost forever. Starting with a mere 30 items, the collection has grown to more than 1400, many of...

view details

Agricultural Museum Bathurst

In 1970, a small group of people interested on preserving the heritage of agriculture in the Eastern Cape, formed a committee to establish a home for the many valuable items which would otherwise be lost forever. Starting with a mere 30 items, the collection has grown to more than 1400, many of which are both rare and unique and all of which have been donated. There is something of interest for everyone as the collection ranges from ox-wagons, horse drawn vehicles, agricultural implements and tractors, steam engines, dairy and household utensils, veterinary equipment, ostrich incubators to name but a few of the exciting exhibits the Meseum has to offer.

Contact Details

Telephone: +27 (0)46 6250884
Mobile: +27 (0)79 9879507
Email: [email protected]
Website: http://www.bathurst.co.za

Address

Trappe's Road, Bathurst

Albany Museum

Albany Museum, located in Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape Province, was established in 1855 and is the second oldest museum in South Africa. It is a provincial museum funded by the Eastern Cape Department of Sport Recreation Arts and Culture. Albany Museum, located in Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape...

view details

Albany Museum

Albany Museum, located in Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape Province, was established in 1855 and is the second oldest museum in South Africa. It is a provincial museum funded by the Eastern Cape Department of Sport Recreation Arts and Culture. Albany Museum, located in Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape Province, was established in 1855 and is the second oldest museum in South Africa. It is a provincial museum funded by the Eastern Cape Department of Sport Recreation Arts and Culture. Albany Museum is an affiliated research institute of Rhodes University. The Museum today consists of a family of seven buildings which includes the Natural Sciences Museum, the History Museum, the Observatory Museum, Fort Selwyn, the Old Provost military prison, Drostdy Arch and the Old Priests House which is leased to the National English Literary Museum. There are a number of Research Departments. All museum collections are curated by specialists in their fields. The Natural Sciences Museum houses permanent collections of terrestrial insects, freshwater invertebrates, freshwater fishes, a plant herbarium, birds, palaeontological fossils, rocks and minerals, ethnographic and archaeological material. The History Museum houses an important collection of historical artefacts as well as a genealogical archive relating to the 1820 British Settlers. The Fine Art collection is also housed in the History Museum. The Education Department provides loan resources and education programmes for teachers, students and learners through curriculum-based as well as broader interest museum lessons and outreach visits to farm schools. The Exhibitions Department is involved in the maintenance and construction of both permanent and temporary displays. The Museum also has an important scientific and historical library which houses rare books. The Natural Sciemce Museum , Observatory Museum and History Museum iare open from Monday to Friday ( 9h00 - 17h00). All our museums are closed on sundays and public holidays. On Saturdays only the Observatory Museum is open from 09h00-13h00. To visit the Museum contact us [email protected] Also visit our blog http albanymuseum.blogspot.com

Contact Details

Telephone: +27 (0)46 6222312
Mobile: +27 (0)82 3235293
Email: [email protected]
Website: http://www.ru.ac.za albanymuseum

Address

Somerset Street, Grahamstown

Aliwal Museum

Aliwal Museum

view details

Aliwal Museum

Aliwal Museum

Contact Details

Telephone: +27 (0)51 6341666
Mobile: +27 (0)82 6722739

Address

22 Smith Street, Aliwal North

Amathole Museum

The Amathole Museum has its origins in the King Williams Town Naturalist Society founded in 1884. The Societys collections quickly outgrew temporary accommodation in the Council Chambers and Public Library. From these small beginnings, the museum grew. It is the major attraction for visitors to King...

view details

Amathole Museum

The Amathole Museum has its origins in the King Williams Town Naturalist Society founded in 1884. The Societys collections quickly outgrew temporary accommodation in the Council Chambers and Public Library. From these small beginnings, the museum grew. It is the major attraction for visitors to King Williams Town and also serves the local community. The original museum building today forms the eastern wing of the Amathole Museum complex. It was officially opened to the public in October 1898 as The Museum of Natural History. A major extension to the building, linking it to the Public Library, was completed in 1953. The Wesleyan Church (photo), and Post Office buildings were incorporated in the early 1980s to house the growing museum.

Contact Details

Telephone: +27 (0)43 6424506
Mobile: +27 (0)72 5097384
Email: [email protected]
Website: http://www.museum.za.net

Address

Conr Alexandra & Albert Roads, King William's Town

Burgersdorp Museum

When R.J. Gordon passed through this area in 1777, he encountered only a few San folk. Numerous rock paintings indicate that the area also had a great variety of game. Since 1820 farmers moved deeper into the North Eastern Cape to escape British rule and the fierce attacks from the Xhosas. At the...

view details

Burgersdorp Museum

When R.J. Gordon passed through this area in 1777, he encountered only a few San folk. Numerous rock paintings indicate that the area also had a great variety of game. Since 1820 farmers moved deeper into the North Eastern Cape to escape British rule and the fierce attacks from the Xhosas. At the time, this area was just outside the borders of the Cape Colony. Sir Benjamin DUrban proclaimed the area as part of the Cape Colony in 1835. The district was then known as the Province of Adelaide. By then 350 families were already farming in the area. p In 1846 a petition was drawn up with a request to the Graaff-Reinet Dutch Reformed church council to buy a farm for the founding of a church town. Up until then, the people had to travel to Graaff-Reinet, Cradock and Colesberg to attend church services. The congregation of Burgersdorp was founded on 13 Oct 1846. The farm Klipfontein, was bought from Gert Buitendach for this purpose. Burgers would honour the farmers(burgers) who brought Christianity to this area. On 20 Jan 1847, 75 stands were sold by public auction, at an average price of 50pounds.

Contact Details

Telephone: +27 (0)51 6531738
Email: [email protected]
Website: http://www.burgersdorp-museumza.net

Address

4920 Piet Reties Street, Burgerdorp

1 2 3 4
Screen width: