Centre: Head Office (East London)
Reporting to the Senior Manager Scientific Services, the Marine Ecologist will facilitate and conduct research and biomonitoring programmes to guide and inform the management of marine protected areas. Furthermore, to provide the Agency and other key stakeholders with strategic guidance and support when required.
- A MSC Degree, and a minimum of 5 (five) years’ work experience in a marine research or conservation field.
- Experience in data analysis and management
- Socio-ecological experience would be advantageous
- Previous scientific publications would be an added advantage
- Code EB Driver’s License
- Off Road driving
- Open water diving, commercial licence
- Radio licence
- Skipper Grade C license would be advantageous
Key Performance Areas
- Research: Identify and determine priority research needs. Conduct and coordinate scientific research in marine protected areas.
- Biomonitoring: Establish and conduct biomonitoring programmes to guide and inform management of the marine protected areas.
- Advisory Service: Provide expert ecological advice and support to regional and reserve management as well as the Agency as a whole.
- Stakeholder Engagement and Management: Build and maintain effective relationships with critical stakeholders such as government, private organizations, Scientists, Communities, and local municipalities.
- Budget Planning and Monitoring: Monitor use of financial resources and ensure compliance with government and organisational directives and prescripts.
- Project Management: Coordinate and manage projects and the Marine Research Programme as a whole. Ensure that key deliverables are achieved on time and that science guides and informs the management of the Marine Protected areas.
- People Management: Manage subordinates by assigning work/duties and assessing progress
- Asset Management: Maintain vehicles and equipment. Procure new goods and services as required.
NB: In line with the Employment Equity Policy of the Eastern Cape Parks & Tourism Agency, preference will be given to suitable candidates from the designated groups. (Where applicable)
Closing Date: 17 December 2017
Please forward your application to:
- All applications/enquiries can be e-mailed to: [email protected] or faxed to 0865454851
- Please specify the position you are applying for.
- Applications must be accompanied by a comprehensive CV. Applications received after the closing date and/or those submitted to an address not listed above will not be considered. If you do not receive a response within 30 days, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
The ECPTA reserves the right not to fill any advertised position.